So, I had this butternut squash that has been sitting around for awhile, and it needed to go. I looked up some recipes and I found a recipe for a squash casserole, but it was for yellow squash. I could sub butternut, right? However, after realizing I had lots of moments where I thought I had something and really didn’t, I made a completely new dish. And then I had some left over apples from some muffins I was making, so I threw those in too. And it turned out to be good!
Savory Butternut Squash Casserole
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 1/2-1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 stack of buttery crackers, crushed
- Warm a large skillet with the butter. Put in squash and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. After five minutes add in onion and water and continue to cook until tender
- When cooked, remove from heat. Add in milk, sour cream and apples. Pour into a 2 quart baking dish
- Top with crushed crackers and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and top is brown.